Primary Research Articles
Reviews, Book Chapters, and Commentaries
- Kang S#, Hong SI#, Lee JY, Lee H, Peyton L, Baker M, Choi S, Kim H, Chang SY, Choi DS. Activation of astrocytes in the dorsomedial striatum facilitates transition from habitual to goal-directed reward-seeking behavior. (2020) Biological Psychiatry. May 6;S0006-3223(20)31549-3. #equally contributed to this work.
- Nahar L, Grant CA, Hewett C, Cortes D, Reker AN, Kang S, Choi DS, Nam HW. Regulation of Pv-Specific Interneurons in the Medial Prefrontal Cortex and Reward-Seeking Behaviors. (2020) Journal of Neurochemistry. Jun 27. doi: 10.1111/jnc.15106.
- Hong SI#, Kang S#, Chen J, Choi DS. Indirect medium spiny neurons in the dorsomedial striatum regulate ethanol containing conditioned reward seeking. (2019) Journal of Neuroscience. 39(36) 7206-7217. # equally contributed to this work.
- Kang S, Li J, Zuo W, Chen P, Gregor D, Fu R, Han X, Bekker A, Ye JH. Downregulation of M-channels in lateral habenula mediates hyperalgesia during alcohol withdrawal in rats. (2019) Scientific Reports. 9(1):2714.
- Starski P, Hong SI, Peyton L, Oliveros A, Wininger K, Hutchison C, Kang S, Karpyak V, Choi DS. Ethanol induces maladaptive impulse control and decreases seeking behaviors in mice. (2019) Addiction Biology. Apr 22:e12754.
- Kang S, Li J, Bekker A, Ye JH. Rescue of glutamate transport in the lateral habenula alleviates depression- and anxiety-like behaviors in ethanol withdrawn rats. (2018) Neuropharmacology. 129:47-56.
- Li J#, Kang S#, Fu R, Wu L, Wu W, Liu H, Gregor D, Zuo W, Ye JH. Inhibition of AMPA receptor and CaMKII activity in the lateral habenula reduces depression-like behaviors and alcohol intake in rats. (2017) Neuropharmacology. 126:108-120. # equally contributed to this work.
- Greene D, Kang S, Hoshi N. XE991 and Linopirdine are state-dependent inhibitors for Kv7/KCNQ channels that favor activated single subunits. (2017) Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. 362:177-185.
- Kang S, Li J, Fu R, Zuo, W, Gregor D, Krnjevic K, Bekker A, Ye JH. Ethanol withdrawal drives anxiety-related behaviors by reducing M-type potassium channel activity in the lateral habenula. (2017) Neuropsychopharmacology. 42:1813-1824.
- Li J, Fu C, Liu H, Fu R, Zuo W, Kang S, Chen P, Gregor D, Paulose R, Bekker A, Ye HJ. Electroacupuncture attenuates hyperalgesia in rats withdrawn from chronic ethanol drinking involving habenular mu opioid receptors. (2017) Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. 41(3):637-643.
- Zuo W, Wang L, Chen L, Krnjevic K, Fu R, Feng X, He W, Kang S, Shah A, Bekker A, Ye JH. Ethanol potentiates both GABAergic and glutamatergic signaling in the lateral habenula. (2016) Neuropharmacology. 113:178-187.
- Fu R, Chen X, Zuo W, Li J, Kang S, Zhou LH, Siegel A, Bekker A, Ye JH. Ablation of μ opioid receptor-expressing GABA neurons in rostromedial tegmental nucleus increases ethanol consumption and regulates ethanol-related behaviors. (2016) Neuropharmacology. 107:58-67.
- Kay HY, Greene D, Kang S, Kosenko A, Hoshi N. M-current preservation contributes to anticonvulsant effects of valproic acid. (2015) Journal of Clinical Investigation. 125:3904-3914.
- Kim HJ, Kang S, Kim HJ, Choi SH, Shin S, Lee HH, Rhim H, Shin KH. Effect of acute and chronic electroconvulsive shock on 5-hydroxytrypamine 6 receptor immunoreactivity in rat hippocampus. (2014) Experimental Neurobiology. 23(3):231-7.
- Kang S, Xu M, Cooper EC, Hoshi N. Channel-anchored protein kinase CK2 and protein phosphatase 1 reciprocally regulate KCNQ2-containing M-channels via phosphorylation of calmodulin. (2014) Journal of Biological Chemistry. 289(16):11536-44.
- Kosenko A, Kang S, Smith IM, Greene DL, Langeberg LK, Scott JD, Hoshi N. Coordinated signal integration at the M-type potassium channel upon muscarinic stimulation. (2012) EMBO Journal. 31(14):3147-56.
- Greene D, Kang S, Kosenko A, Hoshi N. Adrenergic regulation of HCN4 channel requires protein association with β2-adrenergic receptor. (2012) Journal of Biological Chemistry. 287(28):23690-7.
- Kang S, Kim HJ, Kim HJ, Shin SK, Choi SH, Lee MS, Shin KH. Effects of reboxetine and citalopram pretreatment on changes in cocaine and amphetamine regulated transcript (CART) expression in rat brain induced by the forced swimming test. (2010) European Journal of Pharmacology. 647(1-3):110-6.
- Moon BH, Kang S, Kim HJ, Shin SK, Choi SH, Lee MS, Kim MK, Shin KH. Effect of reboxetine pretreatment on the FST-induced gene expression profile in the rat lateral septum. (2008) Molecular & Cellular Toxicology. 4(1):31-44.
- Moon BH, Hong CG, Kim SY, Kim HJ, Shin SK, Kang S, Lee KJ, Kim YK, Lee MS, Shin KH. A single administration of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin that produces reduced food and water intake induces long-lasting expression of corticotropin-releasing factor, arginine vasopressin, and proopiomelanocortin in rat brain. (2008) Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology. 233(2):314-22.
- Park SH, Seo YH, Moon BH, Choi SH, Kang S, Lee KJ, Choi SH, Lee MS, Chun BG, Shin KH. Lamotrigine prevents MK801-induced alterations in early growth response factor-1 mRNA levels and immunoreactivity in the rat brain. (2008) European Journal of Pharmacology. 589(1-3):58-65.
- Park SH, Choi SH, Lee J, Kang S, Shin YC, Kim HJ, Kim HJ, Shin SK, Lee MS, Shin KH. Effects of repeated citalopram treatments on chronic mild stress-induced growth associated protein-43 mRNA expression in rat hippocampus. (2008) Korean Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology. 12(3):117-23.
- Kim SJ, Park SH, Choi SH, Moon BH, Lee KJ, Kang S, Lee MS, Choi SH, Chun BG, Shin KH. Effects of repeated tianeptine treatment on CRF mRNA expression in non-stressed and chronic mild stress-exposed rats. (2006) Neuropharmacology.50(7):824-33.
Reviews, Book Chapters, and Commentaries
- Kang S, Choi DS. Astrocyte adenosine signaling and neural mechanisms of goal and habitual reward seeking behaviors. (2020) Neuropsychopharmacology. In Press.
- Baker M, Hong SI, Kang S, Choi DS. Rodent Models for Psychiatric Disorders: Problems and Promises. (2020) Laboratory Animal Research. Apr 15;36:9
- Kang S, Choi D-S. Possible Benefit and Validity of Supplements for Alcohol Use Disorder. (2019) Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. May;43(5):780-782.
- Wininger K, Karpyak V, Kang S, Choi DS. “Central role of amygdala and hypothalamus neural circuits in alcohol withdrawal symptom”. Neuroscience of Alcohol. Elsevier (Editor Victor Preedy). Chapter 26, pp 249-256, 2019.
- Lindberg D, Andres-Beck L, Jia YF, Kang S, and Choi DS. Purinergic Signaling in Neuron-Astrocyte interactions, Circadian Rhythms and Alcohol Use Disorder. (2018) Frontiers in Physiology. 9:9. PMID: 29467662
- Shah A, Zuo W, Kang S, Li J, Fu R, Zhang H, Bekker A, Ye JH. The lateral habenula and alcohol: Role of glutamate and M-type potassium channels. (2017) Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior. 162:94-102.
- Kang S. The Role of Casein Kinase 2 in Ion Channel Remodeling After Myocardial Infarction: Editorial to: "Valsartan Upregulates Kir2.1 in Rats Suffering from Myocardial Infarction via Casein Kinase 2" by Xinran Li et al. (2015) Cardiovascular Drugs and Therapy. 29(3):207-8.
Upper figure: 3D reconstruction of axon (yellow) and dendrite (sky blue) in the Lateral Habenula